Ram Dass and Maharajji

(from "Miracle of Love"):

Ram Dass: One afternoon I was sitting across the temple courtyard from Maharajji. He was surrounded by devotees who were massaging his feet, laughing and talking about this and that, and sharing fruit and sweets. As I watched, the scene suddenly appeared to become static, as if I were watching a tableau. I felt remoteness from it all. In my mind, I thought, “My relationship with Maharajji is not in time and space. I don’t need to be at his feet in physical form. It wouldn’t really matter if I were to never see him again. He is in my heart.”

Just the thought made me feel guilty, but at that moment it all came back to life and I saw Maharajji turn and whisper to an old Indian devotee standing at his side. The man immediately came rushing across the courtyard, came up to me, and touched my feet. Then he said to me, “Maharajji told me to come over and touch your feet. Maharajji said, ‘Ram Dass and I understand each other perfectly. His heart is open.’” At that very moment, I knew that Maharajji had freed me from attachment to his form. In the twenty-three years since that time, Maharajji and I have never been apart.

=====

My path is the path of Guru Kripa, which means ‘grace of the guru’. It seems like a sort of strange path in the West, but my path involves my relationship with Maharajji, Neem Karoli Baba. The way I do that is that I just hang out with him all the time. I have an imaginary playmate in a way, He dropped his body, yet he seems so alive to me because I have invested that form in my mind as an emotional connection to that deeper truth.



No comments:

Post a Comment