(from "Ramakrishna Kathamrita):

Ramakrishna Paramahamsa: Money is also a great upadhi [one that conditions a person]. As soon as money comes to a man, he becomes so different – he is no longer the same man.
A brahmin, who was outwardly very humble used to come here. After a few days I went to Konnagar. Hriday was with me. When I got off the boat, I saw the same brahmin sitting on the bank of the Ganges, probably enjoying the breeze. Seeing us, he said: “I say, how are you, Thakur?” Hearing his tone, I said to Hriday: “Oh Hriday, this man has acquired some money. That’s why he is talking this way”. Hriday laughed.

A frog had a rupee, which he kept in a hole. One day an elephant walked over the hole. Rushing out angrily, the frog raised its foot at the elephant and cried: “How dare you walk over me!” Such is the pride money breeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment