Young Kunju Swami

(from "Reminiscences of Kunju Swami"):


Kunju Swami: I once went on a pilgrimage to the Kovilur mutt (monastery). Sri Mahadeva Swami, who was the mutt head then, had earlier served as the head of the Isanya mutt at Tiruvannamalai, which was one of their branch mutts. At that time, he used to come visiting Bhagavan regularly. He would converse freely with all of us. Every Deepavali, he would send Bhagavan a bottle of bath oil, soap-nut powder, new loin cloth, etc. Even after shifting to Kovilur as head of the mutt there, he had left behind instructions to Sri Natesa Swami, his successor at Tiruvannamalai, to continue the practice.


Mahadeva Swami also gave us monetary help during the time of the construction of Skandasramam. Objections came from his headquarters for providing funds to an establishment not connected with their mutt. His reply was, “We and our mutts may come under jurisdictions and control. But Bhagavan and his state transcend all such factional boundaries. We are indeed fortunate to be of service to him. Still, if I am not permitted to donate from the funds of our mutt, I shall bear the expense from my personal account.” Such was his devotion to Bhagavan


After some days’ stay at the Kovilur mutt, when I returned to the ashram, Bhagavan, as was his wont, enquired with interest about my trip. I told him that Mahadeva Swami had been very cordial and had enquired after Bhagavan and the other residents of our ashram. I reported that Raja Sir Annamalai Chettiar and his entourage had come visiting while I was there. Bhagavan asked me what Chettiar did on arriving there. I said that, tying his uttareeyam (formal wear worn by dignitaries over their shoulder, a mark of their high social status) reverentially around his waist, he prostrated before the mutt head and received from him prasad (gift) of vibhuti (sacred ash). 


Bhagavan now asked, “Did you do likewise?” I faltered and replied in the negative. When he questioned why, I said, “After getting the great fortune of offering obeisance to Bhagavan, how could I salute anyone else?” Giving me a meaningful look, Bhagavan said, “Ah! You venerate Bhagavan too well, don’t you? Smart indeed! It seems your Bhagavan is confined to this building, to the sofa here, to a five, six foot frame! He isn’t present anywhere else, is he? If your devotion is that exclusive, you have no business to go visiting any other holy premises. But if you do, you should follow the protocol there that tradition demands. Wherever, whomsoever you salute, if you invoke your favourite deity or guru while doing it, your obeisance is received by Him. That is the proper way.” The point made by Bhagavan went home. From then on, whoever I happened to salute, I would meditate on Bhagavan while doing it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment