Ramana and Chinna Swami

 (from "Living by the words of Bhagavan"):

Annamalai Swami: Bhagavan knew that Chinnaswami was causing me a lot of trouble but he discouraged me from making any complaints. Apart from the incident of the coin bag, I only ever complained to him twice about Chinnaswami's behavior. On both occasions, Bhagavan reprimanded me for bringing the complaint to him. In one of the incidents, Chinnaswami asked me to throw some stones at a dog and chase it away from the ashram. 

I didn't want to punish a harmless dog so I went to Bhagavan and told him, 'Chinnaswami is asking me to throw stones at this innocent dog.' 

Bhagavan surprised me by backing up his brother: 'If you cook some food and keep it in your house, and a dog comes near, are you not entitled to chase it away before it steals the food?' 

Bhagavan was always very kind to animals. If he had seen a devotee throwing stones at a harmless dog he would probably have rebuked him. He gave this reply to me merely to show that he disapproved of devotees bringing complaints to him. 

When devotees did bring complaints to him, he would generally criticize them for doing so. This did not mean that he approved of the action of whoever had caused the complaint. It merely meant that he disapproved of devotees who found fault with other people. 

I cannot remember what my third and final complaint was but Bhagavan's reply on that occasion clearly showed his attitude towards complaints and complainers. 

He began by saying, 'In practical matters, it is inevitable that some differences will arise. Don't get disturbed by them. 

Then he asked me, 'What did you come to this ashram for?' 

'I have read,' I replied, 'in a commentary on the Bhagavad Gita, that if the mind is pure, it becomes the Self. I want to keep my mind clean so that I can realize the Self. I have come here only for this purpose.'

'Isn't seeing the defects of others feeding the mind?' asked Bhagavan. 'I myself have tried to correct Chinnaswami many times but could not succeed. Why are you trying to interfere in this matter?'

I accepted Bhagavan's criticism and told him that in future I would try not to see defects in other people. 

As a final act of contrition, I prostrated to Bhagavan and told him, 'From now on I shall not complain about anyone again'. 

I kept my word: in all the succeeding years I never once took a complaint to Bhagavan about another devotee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment