Maa Vaishno Devi

(from Autobiography of an Avadhoota")

Avadhoota Nadananda: One day a poor old woman came to where I was doing Chandi Paath. She was a widow and a non-Brahmin. She requested me to do Chandi Paath at her house too. Being non-Brahmin, she was afraid to ask. Some of the villagers objected to my going to her house for the Paath. I told her that the following Tuesday I would go to her house, and not only do the Chandi Paath, but take bhiksha (food offering) from her as well. Her happiness knew no limits. On Tuesday there were only three villagers with me then I went to her residence. There was Paramanand, his sister Kaushalya, and another Brahmin boy named Ashok, in addition to me. I felt unhappy about the narrow-mindedness of the villagers. The poor old lady offered 11 rupees after the Paath. She had already prepared some rice, dal and chilly chutney for my bhiksha, and all of us including Paramanand, Kaushalya and Ashok took food from that old non-Brahmin lady. She had tears in her eyes while she was serving me food.

In the evening, a few village elders (all Brahmins) came to me very angrily and said that the had decided to boycott me and that in the future they would not be cooperating with me in any way. I did not try to convince them, but said, "Look, Maa Vaishno Devi dwells in everybody, not just only in the bodies of Brahmins. Being a sannyasi, I know what I am doing is correct. Of you are not cooperating with me, it is your will and pleasure. But I dislike your mentality of discrimination. If any devotee of Maa calls me, even a Muslim, I will definetely go and do Chandi Paath. I care the least about your age-old superstitions."

They left me without any comment, but after few days I learned that a group opposing me was being formed...

No comments:

Post a Comment