Himalayas

(from Autobiography of an Avadhoota")

Avadhoota Nadananda:  Early morning we both started climbing the snow-covered hills. Bhriguram ji was in silence. I too was quiet, but I was thinking about myself! What is all this for? Endless journey and limitless sufferings? Is it a must to reach the Ultimate Reality? Why sufferings to me only? I have seen so many swamis and gurus living high-profile lives, very happy. It seems in their life they have no sufferings. Very well-arranged rooms, good food, and a lot of assistants to take care of them; they are enjoying their lives royally. But for me, it was constant travel, without food and sleep! 

Bhriguram ji stopped for a while and looked at me pointedly. He might have read my thoughts, he said, "To make a necklace out of gold, the gold is first burnt in the fire, and then hammered; finally the mala (necklace) is ready, and then only it is used to decorate a deity's idol. Your life is also like that. You have to be burnt in the fire, hammered and filed, and now you are ready to be offered to the Almighty; you will be worn on the necks of the Almighty! Why are you bothering about your life? Often you forget, that we - the Guru Parampara - are behind you to take care of you. Don't be childish and foolish. Face the present situation and get ready for a good future!" I kept quiet. Now I understood what was behind my sufferings. My Guru Parampara only! And that also for my purifications and to prepare me as a garland to be put in the neck of Almighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment