Avadhoota Nadananda

 (from "Autobiography of an Avadhoota - part 2"):

Avadhoota Nadananda: A few years back, I was hospitalized in order to attend to a cardiac problem in a multi-specialty hospital. Investigations diagnosed a ventricular ectopic beat and also I was suffering from lower chamber disorders causing chest pain. They planned for an ECG study and an angiogram. One Dr. Narasimha, a well-known cardiologist and a rare human being with much affection towards me was looking after my case. I was brought to Hyderabad in an unconscious condition. Apart from Dr. Satyanarayana, Mohi, Sujatha and Satyam were also with me. The other arrangements for my treatment at the hospital were done by Dr. Narasa Raju and Harikishore. After a routine check-up, the doctors wanted to order an ECG study and even planned for a pacemaker. Be then, Guru Purnima was around the corner. In fact, I was not in the mood to undergo any type of treatment like surgery. But the angiogram and EPG study were inevitable. 

Preparations were over and I was taken into the operation theatre which was well-equipped with all modern facilities. Usually, any tranquilizer or even anesthesia has never worked on my body. As my body is yogic with activated shat chakras, the chemical energy of pharmaceuticals is never able to impact me. A yogi whose shat chakras are activated with spiritual energy will never respond to any artificial energy. Or if it is required to work on such a yogi, he has to deactivate those chakras which is dangerous. Doctors administered three or four units of injections to put me in an unconscious state, so they could do further procedures. But I had forgotten to mention the crucial fact of the chakras to them, so in spite of all their attempts, they failed. Because of me, they were all getting delayed on their schedules. So the irritated Dr. Narasimha asked me in frustration, "Are you a man, a devil, or a god? For the first time ever, I am seeing such a person who has almost no response to even the heaviest of anesthetics." 

Then I remembered, and told him, "Dear doctor, you need not worry. I will get your job done. Okay, now you just mark the place of your choice with an ice cube (where you want to make the incision) for inserting the catheter. I will remove my mind from there, and you can proceed with your study." But he was not ready to accept my idea and refused to take a risk, telling me that medical science does not permit such foolery. I argued, "When I myself have signed the necessary papers you can do it at my risk. You are a Hindu and believe in the existence of divinity, gods, and in the words of our holy scriptures; then again you want them to comply with science which even now in spite of all its mighty achievements is just in its inception. Pray to your ishta devata if at all you have one, and please go ahead." 

Perhaps it challenged his knowledge base or perhaps I had touched on his belief, for he finally agreed. With some hesitation and caution, he agreed to mark the joint of my leg with an ice cube and cut a little to insert the catheter. It took more than two hours to complete the surgery. The next day he paid me a special visit to understand how it could have been possible for a human being to keep in check his mind for so long a time. Instead of giving him the lengthy lecture, he was expecting, I merely said, "It's possible. Only that one must have a Guru, and staunch belief in the scriptures and unwavering faith in the Guru." For, this is not an arbitrary science that changes its sayings and data according to whim. 

As a token of gratitude for the successful surgery and correction of the ventricular ectopic beat, I placed my rudraksha mala which I had been wearing for a long time around his neck. I could very well see various emotions on his face including that of astonishment, and his eyes filled up with tears. I learned that a few months later at a cardiology conference, he had presented a paper on this incident that he had come face to face with, After a few days, I was discharged from the hospital and came back to normalcy. 

It is the perennial truth: if you have a staunch belief in Amma, the Ultimate Guru, the impossible becomes possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment