Neem Karoli Baba

(from "The near and the dear" by Dada Mukherji):

Shukla [one of the closest disciples of Neem Karoli Baba]] emphasized that Babaji knew his nature very well. "He was always trying to teach me to be more active and vigilant, and not as emotional and soft-hearted as I was by nature. Babaji knew that I could never be turned into a successful businessman. I did not have the makings for it. For Babaji, there was nothing wrong with my choice to lead a life as a religious idealist rather than a shrewd and calculating businessman. But it could not be denied that I was not fully reconciled to being satisfied with things as they came, so Babaji wanted to teach me that what I was getting and what I was missing were both results of my own doing. No one else was responsible for it.

This was what I had to learn: I make and unmake everything by myself. If I wanted a successful worldly life, I should go all the way for it and change the old pattern of my life and work to the utmost for the new pattern. And if I do not go for that or am unable to do that, I should accept it and be fully satisfied that success along that line was not for me. So, the false charm in the mind for those things should be banished. Do not shed tears for things that are not for you or that you cannot bring yourself to do. It is of utmost importance to be satisfied and reconciled with what you have received as your reward for your efforts.

Brother, I only know this much: decide exactly what you want and what you will have to do to achieve it. What is the work that has been given to you? Look at it from all sides and then devote yourself to it with full strength and energy. We look to all sides expecting that somebody will come to help and finish the work for us. This never happens. 

After all, what is sadhana? Sadhana does not mean that while you sit in meditation with your eyes closed, cooked food will drop into your month on its own. Meditation and deep concentration are not outside of us. One has to learn when and how they are to be used. Doing your work with full attention until it is done, putting your whole mind on it with no diversions, is actually meditation. When your work is done there should be full satisfaction and total peace in your mind. This is actually samadhi that comes from the work in which one is engaged.

This does not mean that for everyone dhyan and samadhi will come from the same thing or in the same way. You have not taken sannyas (renunciation). Why do you think that by sitting like a yogi for the whole day with your eyes closed will give you your samadhi? Your life is different, so how can you do the dhyan which is meant for the sadhus? I understand only this much: whatever work has come to you, take that to be your deity. Do your work accordingly and be satisfied that whatever comes out of it is your reward. Well, am I mistaken?"

No comments:

Post a Comment