(from "Living by the words of Bhagavan"):

Question: l am trying to surrender to the Guru. How can I tell if I am succeeding? It is very easy to say ‘I surrender' but this is a verbal statement. It doesn't mean that real surrender has taken place. I think that I have achieved some success with my practice but how can I be sure?

Annamalai Swami: If you have really surrendered to the Guru you will see the Guru in all forms. Wherever you go you will only see the Guru.

If your mind is not steady it means that your surrender is not complete. Your Guru may take several forms. If your destiny is to go to several different places, your Guru may take the form of different saints. But even if he does there is still only one Guru because the Guru is the formless Self. You must learn to see the Guru in all things; you must learn to see the Guru everywhere. Kunju Swami once visited Quilon Math. On returning he told Bhagavan that he had not done namaskaram to the Guru of the math. Bhagavan told him, 'Why do you limit Bhagavan to this form? The Guru is one not many.’ Seshadri Swami was once seen doing namaskaram to a donkey. When he was asked why he replied. This is not a donkey, it is Brahman.‘ On another occasion when somebody asked him why he was staring at a buffalo he replied, 'I don't see any buffalo, I only see Brahman.


No comments:

Post a Comment