Sivaprakasam Pillai 

 
(from "Ramana Periya Purana"):

Viswanatha Swami told me that once he asked Sri Bhagavan to show him Sivaprakasam Pillai because he knew that he was seated somewhere in the hall. The hall was crowded with devotees - perhaps it was a festive day. 

Bhagavan pointed his finger toward the farthest corner and said, “There, you see! With both arms covering his bare chest and seated unobtrusively like a rustic villager. That is our Sivaprakasam Pillai. He sits here like a domesticated cat. One should see him at his office. There, he is like a wild lion. His uprightness, honesty and hard work mark him out and cause everyone to approach him with awe and respect.” 

Coming to know that Sivaprakasam Pillai had become old and sick and was unable to travel from his village, my father, who had not seen him, urged Kunju Swami to take him to his village near Chidambaram. The austere appearance of Sivaprakasam Pillai and his humility was outstanding. His body used to shine like molten gold with spiritual maturity. 


While introducing Sivaprakasam Pillai to my father, Kunju Swami wholeheartedly and reverentially lauded him as the most humble, scholar- devotee who had brought out Sri Bhagavan‟s direct teaching. Sivaprakasam Pillai, in all humility and with fervent love, held the hands of Kunju Swami and put them on his eyes and on his head. 


With tears flowing from his eyes, he said, “These sacred hands had the great good fortune of touching and serving the holy body of my master. That merit I never had in my life. You are very blessed and infinitely greater!” After narrating this incident, Kunju Swami said, “This is how truly great people put themselves down to enhance the glory of others. Where are the „others‟ for them? Every one is the same, single Self only!” 

When Sivaprakasam Pillai was to drop the body in 1948, the news was reported to Bhagavan. Bhagavan went into a very long silence. Later, when the news of his passing came, Bhagavan affirmed, “Sivaprakasam Siva prakasam aanaar,” which means „Sivaprakasam has merged with Siva‟. Yes, this beautiful human being had returned for eternity to Arunachala.

Sivaprakasam Pillai wrote this poertry shortly before passing away:

O God, you have assumed the name and form of Ramana and abide at the great Arunachala. You have somehow stolen the heart of this sinner who has many defects. 

You have implanted within the heart of this lowly one 

[the conviction] that there is no support for me other 

than your lotus feet. If I don't have your grace, how can 

I praise you? 

====

Instead of putting up with all difficulties as your will, 

[instead of] destroying this troublesome ego, that rises as 'I', and remaining with the attitude, 'Your will is my will', 

I am going in the direction of my fire-like mind, 

growing the feeling of 'mine', paying greater attention to the body and becoming a slave of the senses. I spend my days like this.

======


Whatever misery I experience, I must think that it is also 

your grace and bear with it. Whoever torments and 

tortures me, instead of hating them in anger, 

I must humble myself by considering [their actions] too to be 

your gracious act. 

Truly, Sadguru, this is what I pray to you for. 


No comments:

Post a Comment