V. Ganeshan
(from "Meetings with sages and saints"):

V. Ganeshan: On the completion of my Master’s in Philosophy, Dr. Mahadevan advised me to take up the three-year Ph.D. course. He said that I could bring out a systematic research paper on the greatness and necessity of Bhagavan Ramana's Self-Enquiry and get a Doctorate in Philosophy. Another professor suggested that I bring out a paper synthesizing Bhagavan Ramana's Self-Enquiry with the essence of all existing religions. Both professors were very fond of me and interested in my welfare. Somehow, I was not fully convinced.

I went to Dr. Chari and told him about my plight. He listened attentively and then asked me, "Do you want to get a Doctorate in Philosophy, like all of us? What are you going to do after you obtain the Doctorate? Become a Professor of Philosophy in some University? And lecture on philosophy all your life? Look at us. We talk about philosophy, every day; but, what is our spiritual achievement?! ...Nil." I was overwhelmed by the force of conviction and candour with which he drove home his point!

He got up, came near me and putting his hands on my shoulders, said in a melting voice, "Ganesan! Do you want to live a true spiritual life, like your granduncle or give courses on the theories of philosophies, all your life, like us Professors?"

After a few moments, he continued: "Go and live at the Ashram. Practise your granduncle's supreme teaching of True Spirituality. His teaching of 'Who Am I?' Self-Enquiry is the pinnacle of all philosophies - the highest truth! Live that teaching, Ganesan! To quote Swami Vivekananda: ‘Any philosophy, especially Advaita, as theory, will be a windmill around one's neck, whereas its practice is Heaven on Earth'. I bless you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment